Wednesday, 23 March 2016

Pest(ilens) control

I’m getting closer (well, about half way there at any rate) to the point where I’ve got all the normal Skaven warriors I need for a game of AHQ, so I figured I’d better get working on some of the more unusual kinds. As one of my plague monks had arrived pre-undercoated, I got started on that one, along with an additional clanrat.
Here’s the result:

The clanrat is o.k. – nothing special. I’m getting closer to the skin color I want for my Skaven, but I’m just not sure I’m entirely there yet. I’ll keep experimenting.

The main star of today’s show is the plague monk. I’m especially pleased with the robe. It’s done by painting it bright yellow over a white undercoat and then applying a, very slightly, thinned layer of P3 brown ink. Immediately afterwards, you “paint” water over the raised areas to create the highlighting effect and you can then add a little extra ink to depressions if they aren’t dark enough. I think it worked out really well.

The main problem with technique is that, because the color from the ink “sets” so quickly, you only get one try. Get something wrong and you have to start all over again. Fortunately, small imperfections don’t show up all that much on an intentionally “grubby” model like a plague monk.



  1. Interesting technique with the ink on the Plague Monk - might have to give that a go.

    Great blog by the way!

    1. Thanks.
      The robe turned out really well (if I say so myself). Smooth shadows and a pleasantly "textured" look. It's the first time I've done something like it, so I'll do some experimenting as well in the future to see If I can improve on the results (or even replicate it).